Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
What is EFT?
Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT or Tapping) is a practice related to acupressure that borrows from ancient Chinese medicine’s energy meridian system. It involves using the fingertips to tap on particular points on the face, body, and hands while repeating certain statements to oneself. Practitioners of EFT say that it can help relieve emotional, mental, or physical difficulties by releasing blocked energy in the body.
A large number of people in the withdrawal community have reported that EFT has been a helpful resource to turn to when painful emotions like anxiety emerge along the healing journey. It’s not clear why this is the case, but some also say that EFT can help make intense physical and mental difficulties feel less overwhelming, or that the act of tapping can help them be present and feel grounded.
Where can I find more information?
- The website of EFT’s founder, Gary Craig.
- A link to a free copy of the EFT Manual written by Gary Craig.
- Though you can pay a certified practitioner to guide you through EFT, there are many free resources on the internet that explain how to practice EFT on oneself. Here are two:
- A 4-minute video ‘How to Tap: Emotional Freedom Technique Informational video', that shows where the primary tapping points are.
- A YouTube channel, ‘Tap with Brad’, that has videos of guided EFT tapping exercises categorized by various topics like ‘Emotional well-being’, and ‘Physical well-being’, ‘Relationships/Family’.