Withdrawal-induced pain: quick tips
- Reassure yourself that these experiences are typical of psychiatric drug withdrawal, and that the more you practice accepting them—however frightening and uncomfortable they may be to feel— the easier you’ll find you can coexist with these symptoms until they subside.
- It can be helpful to pay attention to your body to notice if anything in particular triggers an increase in pain, and avoiding that stimulus when you’re able to as your body heals.
- Regular practice of a breathing technique is reported to be an effective coping mechanism.
- Distractions can be useful, such as watching a movie, reading, doing a puzzle, or anything else that you enjoy.
- Progressive muscle relaxation has been helpful for some individuals.
- Gentle yoga may be helpful in relieving pain. A quick internet search will reveal many free online videos.
- Others find mindfulness exercises or relaxation tapes can be useful.